On days when I go to work in the mornings and don’t have time to do yoga and meditation after breakfast as usual, I do exercises on the go – that make up some basic positions of meditation, yoga and aerobic workout.
- I leave myself enough time to walk slowly to the station and keep my back straight as when I meditate. By being straight, you not only look better but also feel better and your back will thank you
- I walk up the stairs or the escalator most of the time unless I have heavy luggage; tuck my belly in so I can use walking as an abs-exercise as well
- Sitting or standing in the tube/ train, I try to keep my back straight as well, although I tend to rest my back on the chair when I sit
- Before work, I fill up my glass bottle with some still water. I use a small bottle – when the water runs out after not too long, it’s a good chance for me to stand up, have a little break from the computer and fill up the bottle again.
- I try to sit straight in front of the computer – same as when walking – it really pleases my back. I sometimes do a quick back bend position by putting my right hand on the left knee, left hand to the back and then reverse.
- I install EyeLeo for the computer and set 2 minute break every 40 minutes. When the computer screen freezes during break time, I stand up, go to the toilet, do some stretches, add some water to my tea/ water cup
- I walk to have lunch in between working hours so I do not sit too much for a long time
- I go the toilet when I need to, sometimes work can carry you on and hold these needs – that is not good for your health and mood, you have to do it anyway, why holding it
- In the toilet, sometimes I do stretches for my arm and back when they feel tiring – it feels great after sitting for a while! I normally turn my back from side to side, turn my head around, stretch my arms to all sides and finish with a standing forward bend.
- Before leaving, I fill my small bottle with water again. Same for walking back, I take my time and keep my back straight, walk the escalators, try to sit or stand straight in the tube/ train and drink some water.
- Since I start my 8 week MBCT (Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy), I listen to guided meditation audio by Mark Williams (Oxford Mindfulness Centre) on the tube and have great relaxation after a whole day at work.
If there is anything else you think can be added to ‘exercise – on the go’, please share!